Benghazi 2014: Another year with Assassinations (Infographic)

A year is almost gone, and Benghazi is facing months that never confronted before. The conflict between Libyan Army and extremists began almost in May. However, Operation Dignity started as a response to the number of assassinations against military people and policemen.
It becomes clear that some people complain that there’s no a proof that Ansar Al-Sharia is behind these assassinations. Because I know data could provide the proof, I have done a little research and gathering some data to make sure it’s easy to provide the poof.
I visited the most reliable news websites to pull out some data, such as who’s assassinated and where he/she was murdered. I came up with this list that contains more than 230 people who were killed or faced an assassination attempt in 2014 only in Benghazi, not mention other cities.

This is a screenshot of the first page.
You can get the full list from here:

This is a screenshot of the first page.

Data is so important that we can study the behavior of things. In this case, we would understand and know who is behind all this assassinations. This data reveals that more than 70% who faced assassination is either military people or policemen. More than 95% of crimes were done by hit and run using guns. Therefore, targets and the way of committing the crime are similar, so it could be only one criminal.
The most days while assassinations where committed is Fridays, which I believe it’s tight back to the idea of Friday is a holy day in Islam. The most month which assassinations were committed is September with 45 people were killed.

There are 11 activists who were killed only because they stood up against extremists. Twfik Ben Soud, Sami AlKwafi, Salwa Boagisis, and Muftah Bozid are the most remarkable people we lost in 2014.

It’s not possible to solve these crimes. People who in charge can go beyond that. They can investigate other aspects of assassinations. They have a complete resource to dig deep, such as tracing victims history and how it affect the crime.

This infographic shows a year in Benghazi with assassination.

Operation Dignity is one solution to extract this cancer. However, looking for another signs and gathering/analyzing data is another approach.

Update: I’ve recived massages and emails from people who have someone was assassinated in 2014 who is not in the list. Again, I would mention that this list is the least number that I could count. In other words, the reality is more than 230.

9 thoughts on “Benghazi 2014: Another year with Assassinations (Infographic)

1. LBCount December 29, 2014 / 9:14 pm

Thanks for your list tracking the people who lost their lives in Benghazi.
    I wonder if you would like to collaborate to see if we can merge our lists for further accuracy.
    -LibyaBodyCount

• mutaz20042000 December 29, 2014 / 10:10 pm

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your effort to collect this important data. I’ve downloaded your list, but I’ve never have the time to compare it with what I’ve collected. Please notice that this list only assassinations attempt (succeed or failed) in 2014.

2. gerardverron December 29, 2014 / 10:03 pm

Thank you Motaz for this infographic which must be continued for future use. Did you collect the tribe affiliation of the victims?

3. mutaz20042000 December 29, 2014 / 10:13 pm

Thanks for your comment. I didn’t include their tribal relations, but yes could be beneficial to see how everything connected.

4. Ibrahim January 3, 2015 / 3:49 pm

Great Job .. Really Appreciated😀

5. MR February 9, 2015 / 1:52 pm

You show a list of murderd people and claim its proof of AS did all the crimes? Why dont you show the people the other side of the story? The so called government never started any investigations to the assasinations in Benghazi..while they claim they arrested multiple people behind the assasinations. We all know that turned out to be a complete lie. The forensic department of Benghazi didn’t even have ink for their pens let alone the proper material to start such investigations. And anyone who was pressing for those investigations was killed himself.

Those assassinations started around the same time Hafter tried to commit the coup. Ask yourself who is to gain from these assasinations? Without solid proof all we have is our common sense. Karama/Hafter people would gain a lot of killing all those policemen and military personel…why? so its easy to take all the power at the end and in the same time have a reason to attack Benghazi. Any police/military personel who didnt agree with Hafters coup was killed.

So again..without proof neither you or I could point the finger..but we can use our minds and think. Every time a bombs explodes, a person gets killed..ask yourself WHO IS TO GAIN?

Same thing going on in Tripoli. We lived in fear the past couple of years. Fear of getting killed, getting robbed getting abducted. The day Libya Dawn came is the day Life went back to normal. And now every good step we take..we get pushed back by a ‘car bomb’ or a assasination. Just to keep people afraid and show the world Tripoli is run by ‘terrorists’

• mutaz20042000 February 9, 2015 / 2:03 pm

Thanks for your comment.
      First of all, you’re a Libya Dawn supporter, and I’m a OD supporter, so getting in a long debate isn’t going to get us to the common ground. The only common ground we have is Libya. I just will keep this as it’s now, you blame Hifter, I blame extremists groups (who you support). And only Allah knows who behind this bloodshed.
      Again, thanks for your comment.

• MR February 9, 2015 / 4:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that our only common ground in this case is Libya and that I’m a what you call a ‘Libya Dawn’ supporter. I think labeling one person a ‘pro X;’ and the other one ‘Pro z’ is one of the biggest problems we face today in Libya. But that subject is for another time and place.

I was commenting on the post you made about the assassinations in Benghazi. You (nor anyone in the government) can prove who’s behind those assassinations. I sure you believe as many others in the world in the universal right for a fair trial and that anyone is innocent until proven guilty. Nobody can take right in their own hands..neither the ‘extremist’ nor OD. We fought in the revolution to overthrow the dictator and enjoy freedom like the rest of the world. But where is the freedom if a rogue general is taking matters in his own hands and killing everybody he labels a terrorist. Where is the evidence? where is the trail? did we give a chance to those people to defend them selfs? Or are we acting the same way Gadafi did and are killing anyone without a proper trial? Because if you remeber..when the revolution started in 2011..Gadaffi and his henchmen were calling anyone a terrorist/al Qeida member.

6. mutaz20042000 February 9, 2015 / 5:13 pm

Thanks.
    One of the reasons I made this investigation and collecting data because I couldn’t find one resource indicate this assassination. You could be right or wrong!. But I believe we are the Libyans who made all of our problems today. We all know what Gaddafi did. Libyans not effective workers who we can relay on. There’s no investigation on this, could be conspiracy or could be lack of effective work in really difficult time for Benghazi.
    This blog only to dig deep in our own behavior,and try to change it.